"Who we are is revealed, ultimately, by the questions we ask, rather than the answers we find. What we want to know is a reflection of how we see the world and a verification that we are looking at it." ~Deena Metzger

"...we are only alive to the degree that we let ourselves be moved." ~Lewis Hyde

Friday, November 13, 2009

Journal Entries

Journal 1
What is my thesis for the research paper?
FCSD1 needs to make more of an effort to prevent negative body image disorders, specifically anorexia nervosa and bulemia nervosa, in pre-teen and early-teen age groups. Eating disorders are a serious problem and a direct manifestation of our society's shallow attitudes toward image and beauty. Eating disorders and body image issues affect thousands of americans annualy, women, young girls, and boys alike. "Eating Disorders" in the lives often makes appearances in the media and has almost made "Anorexia" and "Bulemia" household names. In many cases, american society has taken a complacent attitude towards eating disorders. Sites like ProAna.com have evolved in a sick subculture that views anorexia as a consciously chosen eating pattern, and not a disorder.

Why am is this topic of interest to me?
As a 13-15 year old I went through intense periods of binging and purging and calorie-counting manias. I was unhealthy mentally, physically, and emotionally and had very negative body-image and low self esteem. Three year later, I am in a much safer and happier state and have had few problems with "relapses" and esteem. Having been through that tough 2-3 year period of my life I feel obligated to help other kids out of the body image "black hole" that seems to consume so many preteens. By helping to raise awareness with my essay, presenting it to schoolboard/FCSD1 officials, and sharing my experience I hope to reach out to other people who struggle with these issues. My experience with body-dimorphic disorders and disordered eating was mild in comparison to that experienced by many others, but I hope my efforts will help make life easier for those who suffer from these diseases.



Joural 2
How will I gather relevant data to support my thesis for the research paper?
Finding cut and dry, statistical support for my thesis is difficult, as the topic is fairly specific and local in scope. Data about Anorexia Nervosa and Bulemia Nervosa (AnBn)on a national scale is easier to access and find. I plan on utilizing government and "dot-org" sites for general information about these diseases as a country-wide epidemic. Also, I will utilize these sources for possible programs and initiatives that could be implemented within our district in the future to help fight body-dimorphic disorders.

The Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) is a survey conducted on a biannual basis that may provide more specific insight into the body-image culture of our district. With national, state wide, district, and school-specific results, I will be able to better analyze the contributing factors related to disordered eating among teens. The Center for disease Control website (a dot-gov), or CDC may also contain relevant stats and data.

Other than that of the above mentioned agencies, no other quantitative data has been collected in regards to these issues. No initiative to specifically monitor prevalence of eating and body image disorders within LVHS or the district has ever been made. This means as a researcher, I will need to rely extensively on interview and case-by-case study to support my thesis in a relevant and effective way. This type of data is less desirable than cold, hard numbers kind of data, but since it is the only currently available, I will make it work. One upside to the lack of stats concerning this topic is that the complete lack of data directly supports my thesis: that little is currently being done to address the issues at hand, and more of an effort needs to be made.



Journal 3
How might I use this project outside the classroom? How might I implement my findings? What is the next step?

After completing this essay and the suppoting research, I hope to present my finiding to the school board/health profesionals of the district. The essay will hepofully shed light on issues of Body image and eating dieorders and our district's failure to implement any programs that specifficaly target them. Eventually, I would like to make an effort to collect specific data through survey at the junir high and high school level. This information would help guide future action and efforts to fight body-dimporphic disorders locally.

Creating focus groups, hosting motivational speakers, and workign with at-risk youth are just some of the possibilites for raising awarness and helping to solve this problem. It is exciting to me to think about all of the amazing opportunities for improving body-image and self-esteem that exist and could be implemented in our schools.


Journal 4
Time management will be key during the writing process. How can I ensure that this essay is relevant and productive without competing with college apps, etc.?

This is the tricky part about this assignment- time; it's all a matter of time. I plan on producing an acceptable "first draft" in time for the graded aspect of the essay, but do not plan on taking further action until semester. My goal is to produce a sound, compellign argument that can serve as the framework for extended efforts and action in the future. Realistically, I will only be able to accomplish the boring, first step of the research-based essay, addressing and identifying the issue at hand. I will not be able to complete the more exciting part- pushing for actuall change and action, until time allows. Hopefully, once the applications are in the mail and I'm waiting for acceptance/rejection letters, I will then be able to dedecate the time necessary to implement real change.

No comments:

Post a Comment