"Who we are is revealed, ultimately, by the questions we ask, rather than the answers we find. What we want to know is a reflection of how we see the world and a verification that we are looking at it." ~Deena Metzger

"...we are only alive to the degree that we let ourselves be moved." ~Lewis Hyde

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Resume, a Work in Progress...

In Brief
My name is Shelby Wilson and I am an 18 year old interested in art, science, travel, and the great outdoors. In May I graduated from Lander Valley High School as one of the top ten students in my class, and I will further my academic studies at Brown University beginning next fall. Before I start my undergraduate studies I’m taking a “gap year” to pursue three different internships: one with the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) in Chile; the second under a professional chocolatiere and pastry chef in Jackson, Wyoming; and the third with a shelter for victims of domestic abuse in Minnesota.
Currently, I am experiencing the first leg of my journey. I’m writing this cover letter in Coyhaique, Chile as an intern for the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). Although I will not move to Jackson until mid January, 2011 I want to start some sort of dialogue now. To support myself during my time as an intern at Chef Ortega’s studio, I will work as an intern and hold a part time job concurrently. It is important to note that although I do not have a degree under my belt, my resume is filled with a wide variety of experiences and skill sets. I have worked for a state park, an asian restaurant, and “The Leader in Outdoor Education,” NOLS. Whether it be food preparation or inventory, sketching Wyoming’s awesome landscape or helping a struggling student with homework, I’m confident I can add something to the work environment.
I am moving into an apartment in Jackson on January 4th, 2011 and will live and work there until April 4th, 2011. If you anticipate a job opening during this time frame and feel that I am a good candidate for the position, please notify me.
Email is best: shelbkate@gmail.com

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Shelby Wilson

Experience
Intern, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Patagonia Coyhaique, Chile; September 2010- Present
Engage and interact with the Chilean culture and work towards Spanish fluency
Familiarize myself with the operation of NOLS Patagonia operations by assisting in the rations department, the equipment issue room, and low level administration

Seasonal Staff, Sinks Canyon State Park Lander, Wyoming; May 2010- August 2010
Park maintenance- campsite clean up, painting and small scale carpentry projects, basic vehicle care and maintenance
Interpreter/naturalist for the Visitor Center
Visual Artist Designer for Junior Ranger program publications

Tutor/Mentor, Lander Valley High School Lander, Wyoming; August 2009- May 2010
Presented, Interpreted, and Reviewed 9th grade science curriculum
Provided support and feedback for struggling students
Modified/created class activities to improve student achievement and responsibility

Instructor: Felting Class for Kids, Lander Art Center, Lander, Wyoming; June 2009
Instructed felting techniques and design concepts to 7-14 year olds

Prep Cook, Asian Cuisine Lander, Wyoming; Summer 2008
Food preparation with mandolin, food processor, wok, and deep fryer
Assembled pan-asian dishes

Dish Washer/Prep Cook, CowFish Lander, Wyoming; Summer 2008
Dishwashing and prep cooking; salad and desert prep

Rations Assistant, NOLS Rocky Mountain Lander, Wyoming Summer 2007
Organized, weighed, and counted backcountry expedition food rations
Gained knowledge of back country nutrition and efficient caloric planning

Education
Lander Valley High School Class of 2010, Lander, Wyoming, Graduated May 2010

Concordia Language Villages Spanish Immersion Program, Minnesota 2001-2007
Various two and four week stays at the Concordia language villages immersion summer programs
Attended accredited month-long program, equal to one year’s worth of study in high school spanish coursework

Interlochen Arts Institute Summer Program, Michigan, Summer 2008
Four week visual arts intensive course. Curriculum had an emphasis on fiber arts.
Instruction in visual arts foundation classes, plein air painting and drawing, theory class

Lander Art Center, Lander Wyoming
Various short term classes ranging from metal working to felting and plein air painting

Referrals
Jessica Blount, Supervisor, NOLS Patagonia
jessica_blount@nols.edu
056-067-56-30-64

Randall Wise, Park Ranger/Interpreter, Sinks Canyon State Park
485 Nth 3rd St. Lander, Wyoming 82520
1207 Ardway Rd, Blue Bell, Pa 19422
610-715-2749

Mike Duffy, Science Teacher, Lander Valley High School
MDuffy@landerschools.org

No comments:

Post a Comment