"Who we are is revealed, ultimately, by the questions we ask, rather than the answers we find. What we want to know is a reflection of how we see the world and a verification that we are looking at it." ~Deena Metzger
"...we are only alive to the degree that we let ourselves be moved." ~Lewis Hyde
"...we are only alive to the degree that we let ourselves be moved." ~Lewis Hyde
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
"The Golden Age" Misconception
"...My biggest "ah-ha" moment recently is that there is no "golden age" or perfect number," that being an adult is not synonymous with having "it all figured out." I remember thinking as an elementary student, "when I'm in high school, life will be so much more clear. I will know exactly what I want and what is right and wrong in the world." When I reached LVHS I still had no idea what the heck to do with myself- I had direction but no purpose. "When I'm in my 20s and 30s, life will be so much more clear. I will know exactly what I want and what is right and wrong in the world." Now, I'm close friends with people who are in their 20s and 30s, and they still struggle with the "whys," the "hows," and the "whos." Big questions seem to have persistently distant answers. (Not distant in a depressing sense- more in an inspiring, challenging, realistic sense...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment