"Who we are is revealed, ultimately, by the questions we ask, rather than the answers we find. What we want to know is a reflection of how we see the world and a verification that we are looking at it." ~Deena Metzger

"...we are only alive to the degree that we let ourselves be moved." ~Lewis Hyde

Monday, February 14, 2011

San Valentín


Today was one of the craziest Valentine's ever- all four seasons in one day. I woke up at 11:30 on snooze number four/Chef's text asking me to come to work early with a screaming, howling, puking migraine. On Valentine's Day. The craziest, busiest day of the entire year at AO's. AAaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Aaahh!

After dozing off while riding the START bus to work, I woke at stop #47 in time for Scott Lane and the busiest chocolate shop/bakery in all of Jackson Wyoming. Stop for insanity, pull the yellow cord please. Thank you, have a nice day.

Between 12:00 and 1:00, I managed to make change and box fancy desserts with a passable accuracy. In time, Christy allowed me to raid her stash of Excedrin and life improved drastically. Relief! Box chocolate, breathe. Make change. Repeat. (And don't forget to smile)

Then came the bouquet. And the box of chocolates. And the note. For ME, not the "your total is $10.50, and would you like your receipt?" box of chocolate. MINE. What?

A gift from an amazing, thoughtful, beautiful person thousands of miles away.

I broke down crying wearing white plastic gloves and with an audience of five onlooking customers. Just under the surface I had damned up an entire reservoir without even knowing. Tell me, please, how can a person hide so much from his or herself?

Later this evening I ended the day on a high note, dinner and drinks at Cadillac Grill with my friend Gracey. It was much a higher note than this morning's migraine...not to mention the  dozen roses on my kitchen counter. Whoa. Whiplash much?

Happy Valentines day!
Thanks to you awesome people who helped make the day turn for the better.....I love you!

1 comment:

  1. SHELBY!!! you are truly an inspiration :) I can't wait to see you this upcoming weekend! SO exited :D

    ReplyDelete